Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Legal Cover Letter

Dewey, Cheatham & Howe
Attorney Recruitment Department
1111 East Main Street, Suite 1500
Richmond, VA 23218

August 12, 2010

Re: Application for Associate Attorney Position

To Whom It May Concern:

It is not often that one is presented with a “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.” Today is that day for you. I am happy to present myself as the next great associate attorney at Dewey Cheatham and Howe. I am the diamond in the rough–the future Pro-Bowl quarterback undrafted until the fourth round–a sophisticated legal robot sent back through time to change the future for one lucky law firm. As a recent honor graduate of UNC School of Law, I am poised to begin my meteoric career with your firm. Not only will you find my stats superb across the board, I also come with a work ethic that is only surpassed by the family Formicidae (or ants for the lay person) and a skill set that would make all other candidates for this position blush. I hope you read on and I hope you seize this opportunity because Pokey does not come knocking twice.

If you want someone who is truly committed, then I am the right candidate for the job. Many out-of-work attorneys will claim that they do not mind working long hours for little or no recognition; however, these ne’er-do-wells are likely desperate and willing to say whatever they feel is necessary to land the paycheck. In three years they will be gone, claiming that they can no longer endure the billable hours your firm requires insofar as it is affecting their health and family life. How am I different? To start with, I am a bona-fide over-achiever and have not had or cared to have a real “weekend” since 1997 when I started my first job as the Saturday opening crew at McDonald’s. Secondly, I haven’t been sick in over seven years. I shun hand sanitizer and ate enough dirt as a child to build up all the immunities I need to live to be 120. Finally, I am a glorified bachelorette and thank God that women’s lib has made it socially acceptable for me to be married to my job without having to join a convent.

As far as my skills are concerned, your firm will greatly benefit from my employment. Not only am I highly intelligent and capable to perform sophisticated legal work, I will also do your research, get your coffee, bill your hours, pick up your dry cleaning, babysit your children and give up my holidays to prepare your memos all with a smile on my face and while whistling a variety of tunes from pre-1970 Disney cartoon classics. Furthermore, if that is not enough to procure me an offer on the spot, I am somewhat of a MacGuyver behind the desk: Give me a paperclip, a piece of paper and a LexisNexis account and I can save the world.

Thank you for your consideration of my application. I look forward to discussing with you my future position at Dewey Cheatham and Howe.


Sincerely,

Pokey, J.D.
A.K.A. Justice Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment